Friday, March 03, 2006

115. Yngwie J. Malmsteen / The Best Of 1990-1999. 2000. 3.5/5

You will never convince me that Yngwie's best decade was NOT the 80's. His best albums are from that time, and as I have probably documented elsewhere, after Eclipse I lost interest for a decade.

This just looks like another money spinner from the outside. I mightn't be an expert on what Ynwgie did in this decade, but I know he had better songs than these on his albums, and they don't make an appearance here. The album is fine, don't get me wrong. He is still great at what he does. But let's face it – when a 'greatest hits' package is lifted by the appearance of two songs, one being Rising Force, which he wrote and released in the 80's (yes, the live performance is from the 90's...) and the other is a live performance of a cover song (Rainbow's brilliant Gates Of Babylon), you'd have to start thinking that they were clutching at straws.

Rating : It's OK, and most of the material is good. But I can't get past those two songs I mentioned. The best two songs on the album, and realistically they shouldn't be there!! 3.5/5.

No comments: