Monday, May 25, 2009

538. Blind Guardian / Imaginations From the Other Side. 1995. 3/5

Given who Blind Guardian are, and the genre of metal they fall into, and the fact they have this amazing obsession with their own fantasy world, they can sometimes appear to be a little off-centre. All that taken into account, this album is one I can still put on and enjoy for all those reasons stated above.

This album doesn't take itself too seriously, and the music itself lends a more positive air to the songs than it has a right to. My major problem with the album is the double take most of the songs take. Rather than being straight-out heavy metal tunes, or slow power metal ballads, they try to fit both into the same song, almost all the way through. I must admit that I had trouble with this for some time. Now, older and wiser, I can accept them for what they are, but I still wonder if they could have been done better.

Casting that aside, this album is a middle-of-the-road Blind Guardian release.

Favourites for me include "I'm Alive" and "A Past and Future Secret"

Rating: Average fare for the Guardian. 3/5.

No comments: