Monday, April 05, 2010

572. Ratt / Invasion of Your Privacy. 1985. 4/5

For me, this is one of those albums that will always be shrouded in the memories it brings back to me every time I play it. On a 90 minute cassette I had this recorded on one side, and Motley Crue's Shout At The Devil on the other, and throughout the end of high school in 1986 and 1987 this copped a caning. So the good memories alone create a high standing for this album.

Ratt's second album is a winner in most respects. In my opinion it has no weak moments. Every song backs up the other, linking together as one to make a terrific album. I guess the three singles released from the album - the opener "You're In Love", "Lay It Down" and "What You Give Is What You Get" - are the songs that many people speak of as the best, and they have a solid point. However, to me they are no better than "Never Use Love", "Give It All", "Closer To My Heart" or "You Should Know By Now", just for instance sake. While there is a similar theme running throughout the album both lyrically and musically, it doesn't impede on the enjoyment of songs on a singular listening level. Unlike some albums where there is such similarity, I don't have any problems being able to pick out the songs when they are played. That, of course, may well be just because I know the album so well.

Stephen Pearcy's vocals are at their best here, while the twin guitars of Robbin Crosby and Warren De Martini are just awesome.

Overall, this is one of the best ever albums of the hair metal genre, and for me it is definitely Ratt's best release. And whenever I hear it it still takes me back to driving in my 1970 two door Valiant, charging around the streets with this in the cassette deck.

No comments: