Thursday, July 04, 2013

670. Metallica / Soundwave Festival Sydney 24-2-2013 [LiveMetallica]. 2013. 5/5

This is another of the ever-popular releases by Metallica from their LiveMetallica conglomerate, where you can purchase every live show they do.
This one was from their headlining set at this year's Soundwave Festival in Sydney, which I attended. As it turned out however, I did not actually see Metallica that night. Apart from the ridiculous crush to get into the stadium, and the impossibility of finding a seat or even a standing room position in which to see them, I had decided that I should head out to the outer stages and check out some bands that I had not seen before. The only songs I actually heard that night were "Orion" (which sounded awesome) and "One", as I walked around the outside of ANZ Stadium on my way to my next 'gig'.

I got this anyway, as I like to collect gigs that bands have done in Sydney. And the setlist here is a virtual who's who of Metallica's best, with songs that Australian's haven't heard live from the band for a long time, such as "Hit the Lights", "Holier Than Thou", "Ride the Lightning", the aforementioned "Orion" and "Fight Fire With Fire". Terrific stuff. Throw in classics like "Master of Puppets", "Creeping Death", "Blackened" and "Fade to Black" and you have a great gig list. OK, so James mightn't be able to sing those songs like he used to, and Lars doesn't even pretend that he can play the drums on those songs like he used to, but it is still great to hear them live.

Am I disappointed I didn't actually get to see this set live? Yes and no. I'm glad I saw the bands I did at the time, and the fact I can listen to this now whenever I want makes up for that in my mind.

No comments: