Monday, June 22, 2015

806. Queensrÿche / Queensrÿche [EP]. 1983. 4/5

My first ever introduction to Queensrÿche was in 1986, when the weekend all-night music video show in Australia on Channel Ten (wittily titled "Music Video"), which ran from 11pm until 5am on Friday and Saturday nights, dedicated the whole weekend to playing heavy metal videos. So not only did I stay up both nights watching them all intently as I looked to increase my catalogue of such bands, I recorded them all on my VCR as well. On that weekend I first saw the video for the song "Queen of the Reich", and I was hooked. It was what made me go out and buy Operation: Mindcrime two years later, and the rest is history.

I didn't get a copy of this EP until some years later at a second hand record store, and eventually on remastered CD, but when I did I never regretted it. The starring role falls to "Queen of the Reich", the song that got me into Queensrÿche. Geoff Tate's piercing vocals was the first thing that drew me in, but was quickly followed by the great guitaring of DeGarmo, Wilton and Jackson, as well as the furious drumming of Scott Rockenfield. Terrific stuff. While the other three songs here may not be up to the undeniably brilliant standard set by the opening track, they are also not daunted by it either. Both "Nightrider" and "Blinded" are highlighted by great riffs, trademark solos and a metal speed that is reminiscent of early Helloween, whom they pre-date. Really impressive songs for a debut EP. This is topped of by "The Lady Wore Black", which comes across here as a mature track, where the more reminiscent side of the band comes across without compromising the roots that they have shown on the other three songs.

This is still a marvellous EP, showcasing the enormous skills of every individual in the band, and lighting up a promising future ahead.

Rating:  There is no escape, it's the ending of your precious life.  4/5


No comments: