Monday, August 31, 2015

856. Death Angel / The Bay Calls For Blood - Live in San Francisco. 2015. 3.5/5

I saw Death Angel for the first time (and quite possibly for the only time) last year on their tour of Australia in promotion of their album The Dream Calls for Blood. It was a brilliant concert, allowing me to see them perform songs that I had been waiting most of my adult life to see. Every part of it was sensational, and you could barely have asked for a better setlist. So when I discovered that the band was releasing a new live album I was excited for what it would produce.

So lets face it. No matter what was placed on this album, you know it would sound good. And it does. The band is in brilliant form here, and they have been honestly captured on this album. Sensational songs such as "Left For Dead" which opens the album in style, "The Dream Callas For Blood", and "Detonate". Every track here is superb and at its peak performance.
There is a downside, that has nothing to do with the quality of the recording or the performance of the band. While I support the decision of the band or record company or whoever is in charge of the decision to choose the songs that go on such an album, surely it could have been prudent to have added a few songs that weren't from just the previous two albums? I mean, if I only wanted to listen to The Dream Calls for Blood then I would have put that album on! Seven of the ten songs here are from that album, and like I've said they sound great, but what about some of those greats? Is it just me? Or has a trick been missed here? No "Seemingly Endless Time"? No "Thrown to the Wolves"? No "A Room With a View"? No "Road Mutants"? And that's just a starter. The album is great, but it feels like short shrift to have a Death Angel live album without those songs being a part of it.

The fans will love this album for the material that is here. It is a terrific performance. However, as ranted above, to make a top notch live album you have to have the best of your recent material, mixed with the best of your other material. The job here is half done.

Rating:  You buried the hope but you can't kill the man.  4/5

No comments: