Monday, August 22, 2016

957. Helloween / Pink Bubbles Go Ape. 1991. 2.5/5

In 1991 I was on my first trip to Bali, and apart from sampling plenty of satay and Bintang, I also perused the elaborate cassette stalls that were set up in those days. I was still a vinyl collector in those days and was beginning to move towards CDs as well, but in Bali you could buy practically anything on cassette tape. As I browsed the selections, I came across this strange looking cassette cover with a woman trying to deep throat a fish. On closer inspection it was - FINALLY! - a new album from Helloween! You beauty I cried! And so the purchase was made and I had my first listening of new Helloween material in three years.

Having gotten over Kai Hansen's departure with the release of his new band Gamma Ray's album the previous year, I was interested to hear what Helloween would produce now that one of the main songwriters had moved on. In his place had emerged Roland Grapow, who had taken over the contribution schedule of Kai, as well as Michael Kiske stepping up his writing contributions as well.
So what do we have? Well, I can say with some certainty that although my youthful self was initially excited with the first couple of listens to the album, I knew something was wrong from the outset. This had increased in danger signs by the time I had arrived home from my overseas jaunt, and was confirmed when, even though I went out and bought this album on CD on my arrival home, it has rarely been pulled from the shelf since.
The continued development of the Helloween sound from album to album continues here, but is arguably even more dramatic than what occurred between their debut album and the Keeper albums. There is now no semblance of the speed metal that was a part of every track of the band's early days, and you would argue just how much of this material could really be attributed to the power metal genre either. It has a very easy listening feel to it, it isn't threatening and there's not a lot to get up and jump around with. The question that is raised most by this album is "who is to be credited with this softening approach to the music"? Historically, it has been Michael Kiske who has been lumbered with the blame for how this album, and eventually with the follow up album Chameleon, was written. Given his later comments on the heavy metal music genre, he was probably an easy target. But he wasn't the only writer on this album. Perhaps the larger problem was the lack of material produced by Michael Weikath, who along with Kai Hansen had produced the bulk of the recorded material in the band's history before this. Weiki's only written contributions on Pink Bubbles Go Ape are the second single "Number One", which is a somewhat lumbering power ballad, and a co-write with Kiske on "Heavy Metal Hamsters" which is goofy interlude somewhat in the traditions of "Rise and Fall". Given the almost complete revamp of writers on this album, it probably shouldn't be surprising that the sound of the album is almost a complete 180 degree reversal from their earlier work.
Even when trying to look on the positive side of the album, it is difficult to decipher what works here and what doesn't. The opening gambit of Kiske's "Pink Bubbles Go Ape" was amusing the first couple of times, but appears like an indulgence not worth pursuing after that. The first single "Kids of the Century" is fun enough and listenable enough, as is the follow up "Back on the Streets", but by this time it is obvious the who musical direction is being twisted. Following "Number One" and "Heavy Metal Hamsters", "Goin' Home" and "Someone's Crying" don't inspire any further wonderful feelings about where we are headed. "Mankind" is probably the closest you will come to here of a fully recognisable Helloween song, though it still mixes things within the framework that make you wonder what is happening. "I'm Doin' Fine, Crazy Man" further pushes those boundaries. "The Chance" at least allows Kiske to fully utilise his amazing voice and it travels along in a pleasing way, that perhaps only sounds that way because of what has come before it. Any good work is washed away with acid by the dreadful and deploring closing track "Your Turn", which would do the term 'power ballad' an injustice. Yes, that's how much I think of it.

About the best I can say about this album is that when I put it on today to review, I listened to it five times all the way through, and found I could accept it for what it is without trying to make it something it isn't. By my standards of Helloween the band, this is not a Helloween album. It's an album that has members of that band playing on it, but its like a side project, one where they have diversified their sound from what they would normally play. I can listen to it fine enough, but it brought no feeling in me like the best heavy metal albums do. It is like an easy-listening album. Perhaps that is this album's greatest put down.

Rating:  "We're the Kids of the Century, it wasn't our fault, everything's done now we fall".   2.5/5

No comments: