Wednesday, March 17, 2010

559. The Cavalera Conspiracy / Inflikted. 2008. 2.5/5

I’m guessing a lot of people would have gone out of their way to check this out purely for the fact that the Cavalera boys had worked together again. Count me in as one of that crowd. Though I had never been a huge fan of Sepultura, I had listened to enough of their stuff, and seen them live twice, to make it worth my while to see what they had to offer now.

There is nothing new or startling on offer here, which is not to denigrate the album before I’ve started. This follows a formulaic theme, unlike Sepultura’s groundbreaking early material. But these guys were a part of that, so this shouldn’t be seen as being that kind of album. It is a reunion of sorts, and while I was able to take in a lot of this kind of material when I was 20, I can’t quite take it in large doses now that I’m 40. Actually – I’m not sure I could when I was 20 either. :)

“Inflikted”, “The Doom of All Fires”, "Bloodbrawl" and “Sanctuary” rate with me as the better tracks on the album. The fans of the lads will no doubt enjoy this immensely and play it ad nauseum. As I have done over the last couple of days, I can put it on and listen to it, but I have no desire for continued repeat listenings.

No comments: