Wednesday, March 17, 2010

560. DragonForce / Inhuman Rampage. 2006. 2/5

When I first heard a song by this band (it happened to be “My Spirit Will Go On” off Sonic Firestorm) I was amazed at everything to do with it – the frenetic guitars, the amazing vocals, the precision drumming and the rhythmic keyboards. It all seemed to blend into a wonderful mesh of power metal glory.
Little was I to know that it appears that they just seem to reproduce the same song ten times over, record them and then call it an album. And repeat.

I can’t help but feeling I must be missing something, but all the facts are before me once again. The squeals and twiddles on the guitars are the same during each solo break. The breaks to allow the vocals to punctuate in the middle of the song are the same. The build-up to resumption at this point is the same. All the songs seem to be 7+ minutes of the same thing. The melodies are either all exactly the same or so similar it is impossible to tell the difference.
There is nothing wrong with having a standard set up with your sound and song format. However, by album number three I reckon you’d have at least SOME variety in song structure. But no, it appears we are going with the same tried and true formula, except that for me, it has worn too thin to hide. It obviously works for them. I meet lots of 18-25 year olds who think they are the greatest thing around. Perhaps these guys just aren’t aiming at me.

In the long run, there is enough here to like if you a) don’t look too far beneath the surface, and b) don’t mind a bit of repetition. I have since decided against following up on future releases.

No comments: