Saturday, June 16, 2012

613. McAuley Schenker Group / Perfect Timing. 1987. 3.5/5

By the time we had reached 1987, Michael Schenker had dabbled with Scorpions, spent a number of years in the halcyon period of UFO, and released four albums under the M.S.G moniker, mostly all to wide acclaim for his ferocious and brilliant guitar work and ability to write terrific songs. Still, he had still not broken thorugh for commercial success.
With the addition of Robin McAuley as lead vocalist, the decision was made to rename the band the McAuley Schenker Group, and while also adding Rocky Newton as bass guitarist and backing vocals, as well as his song writing, it was a brave new world that Michael Schenker headed towards.

For a start, this album is unashamedly aimed at the middle of the road, hard rock, radio friendly market. For most of the album, Schenker's trademark guitar licks are either missing or meshed so finely into the song mix that even the hardest of hard core fans would have trouble deciphering it from rest of the instrumental mix.
Add to this that the songs are all very much softer in approach than anything Schenker has tried before. Really, the direction that the band has gone on this album is pretty much everything I hate about music, especially from a band that has proven it is heavy metal folklore, and can mix it with the best, but then changes its output in order to score some radio airplay.

Taking all of this into account... I still love this album. Why? Given all that I have said now and in the past about my abhorrance of "selling out"? I don't know. I really don't. I can give you that it was released four days after my 18th birthday, and it spent about six months on my turntable when it was released. It brings back great memories. And while Schenker's guitar is almost non existant, it actually comes to the fore in the final song on the album, "Rock 'Til You're Crazy", which does always make me feel like listening to the whole album again.
Sure, there is pure syrup in songs like "Gimme Your Love", "Here Today - Gone Tomorrow", "No Time For Losers", "Follow the Night", "Get Out" and "Love Is Not a Game", but what they remind me of is bands like Ratt and L.A. Guns and other hair metal bands of that era.

If I was to rate this album as a Michael Schenker album it would probably be hit hard, because of what I've said above. However, when I just put the album on, and take it for what it is, I still love it to this day. It may not rate as one of Schenker's finest personal moments as the guitaring god that he is, but for feel good, easy listening hair metal circa 1987, this is still pretty damn good.

No comments: