Thursday, February 19, 2015

718. Wolfsbane / All Hell's Breaking Loose at Little Kathy Wilson's Place! 1990 4/5

The fact that this EP is possibly my favourite Wolfsbane release is probably humorous in itself. But it showed a slight change in their typical style - something a bit heavier and less Van Halen - that appeals to me.
"Steel" is a great opening song, grittier and heavier, where Blaze's vocals are allowed to do more than just imitate. "Paint the Town Red" that follows is also terrific. The guitars in particular almost appear to be of their own musical following. Is it because they are somewhat different from Wolfsbane's usual style? Pretty much I would say.
These two songs stand out even more once you get into "Loco", which returns to the bands' very early Van Halen style of song. The similarities in this song and the Eddie Van Halen tricks are unmistakeable, which doesn't make it any less enjoyable.But at times it really does bug me. Still, you listen to what is produced for you, and you either like it or you don't.
"Hey Babe" doesn't work for me, a Wolfsbane attempt at a ballad that let's down the other tracks on this EP. It is redeemed by"Totally Nude" and especially "Kathy Wilson", returning us to positive vibes of this EP. 


Like I said, I enjoy the direction this EP headed in musically, and though it probably didn't come to anything in the future, I still think this is worth a listen if you have the chance.

No comments: