Wednesday, February 25, 2015

725. Steel Panther / Balls Out. 2011. 1.5/5

There is little doubt that this should be an album that you absolutely love and rave about, or an album that you hate and loathe. There is very little room for maneuvering in the middle ground. It is very much a matter of personal opinion.
If you listen to the music in each song, it is very cleverly done. The band sounds like a modern day Motley Crue or Poison rolled into one. Yes, I am aware that both of those bands are still sorta active, but it's an upbeat version of their 1980's persona's, if you will. The musicianship is terrific, the vocals are great, and each song plays up to its subject matter with the perfect tempo and displacement. If you are a fan of the hair metal genre and time period, you won't have any qualms about the music produced here.

Lyrically however...

Look, lyrically it is very cleverly put together, double entendres mixing with others that have no intention of being mistaken for their meaning. And to all of those fans out there who love the lyrics, get a laugh out of it every time you put it on, I think that's great. I'm no prude, but to be honest I don't need to hear this stuff in music that I'm listening to. If I was in love with this album I still couldn't play it around my family because it just isn't suitable - and yes, I know it wasn't written for them to listen to. It's just a shame that an album of music that I do enjoy is shoehorned into a category that I can play in limited places because of the lyrical content. The bigger problem continues to be that I can't listen to it much, because I can't stand the lyrical content myself!!

I don't know if you can categorise this as comedy or childish. They have narrowed their market remarkably by writing the songs they have, but perhaps in a shrinking market they are actually finding new fans because of this. I do believe they have polarised the fan base. As I said at the beginning, I think you will either love this or hate this. My own opinion is that a promising product doesn't quite live up to its potential.

Rating "It won't suck itself" I respectfully disagree. 1.5/5

No comments: