Friday, May 15, 2015

780. Sonata Arctica / Winterheart's Guild. 2003. 2.5/5

Sonata Arctica are a band I struggle with constantly. I love the band, yet have trouble loving their albums. This is no exception to that rule. What I certainly do love about this album is that it starts by smashing you in the face with power metal's heart, keyboards and guitars blazing against that double kick drums. There's no knocking on the door and waiting for it to be answered, they just bash the door down and blast you from second one. If only that lasted for more than the first sixty seconds I would be a happier man.

As it turns out, "Abandoned, Pleased, Brainwashed, Exploited" doesn't quite live up to its introduction. The same could be said for "Gravenimage" which like the opening song has moments where you think 'yeah, this is terrific!' blended with moments when you think 'wow, this is very average' - something you might expect to find over the course of an entire album, but finding it within the context of one song really is something, and not a positive either. Better is "The Cage", which starts off with one of those blinding keyboard extrapolations, and double kick which doesn't dissipate for the whole four and a half minutes of the song, combined with great vocals and a couple of melodies. "Silver Tongue" isn't as fast or blinding, but still combines the excellent guitar to keyboard solo in the middle.
You know what to expect with Sonata Arctica, and that includes the power ballad, the bane of my existence. These ones are heavy hitters, so maudlin and slow and... well... awful!... that it gives me a headache just thinking about them. "The Misery"  holds up to its title well, it makes me completely miserable to even have to listen to it again. Once again, as I must have said a hundred times in reviews, I know there are people out there who love these kind of songs, and no I am not one of them, and yes I should know what to expect from these albums, and yes I should either not listen to them or skip those songs or stop listening to this band. I agree with all those things. As I have no doubt already said with this band, I feel there is so much potential in Sonata Arctica, its just that they choose to make their music in a different direction from what I would like to hear. Which is where my conflict arises.
"Victoria's Secret" and "Broken" were both singles from the album, and both are the better songs to be found here. Faster, great double kick, good solos from both guitars and keyboards, and wonderful vocals from Tony Kakko highlight why these are where my love of Sonata Arctica lies. I love the melding from "Victoria's Secret" straight into "Champagne Bath" as well, another of the good songs found here with all of the right elements. The solo duel between keyboards and guitars here is something that should happen a lot more. The unusual high tinkling keyboards in the middle of the song though are something that should not happen more. This then jumps into "Broken", and thus completes the triumvirate that is the best part of the album for me.
"The Ruins of My Life" falls into a similar category as the first half of the album. Parts of the song are tremendous, but start and end are confusing, completely the opposite to the heart of the song that feels so much more like it should be. The album closes with "Draw Me", which is, to be honest, terrible. Why finish an album with a soppy, weak song like this? It simply destroys the good work done earlier.

This album could easily have ranked much higher with me if only a couple of things had been changed or just left out completely. The awful songs - "The Misery" and "Draw Me" - completely overshadow the good songs - "The Cage" and "Silver Tongue". It is such a shame to have this come down to rating an album. If those two songs are not hear, I think this rates a full star, or perhaps even a start and a half, higher than what I have given it. That is how much I think those two songs affect this album. On the other side of the coin, this rating is probably very harsh because of this, and the fact that there is some very strong material here, stuff that is well worth listening to.

Rating:  You will remember the day you crossed my path.  2.5/5


Listen to full album here

No comments: