Wednesday, May 20, 2015

783. Vixen / Vixen. 1988. 3.5/5

In the world of expanding airplay for glam metal and hard rock acts such as Bon Jovi, Poison, Motley Crue and the like, it was probably only a matter of time before an all-female band emerged on the scene to try and crack it for the big time, especially with the high volume of traffic music videos were generating on air on MTV and other music video related programs and channels. Vixen had been around for a number of years, but their signing by the label and release of their debut album was something that was designed and polished by the time it arrived in 1988.

You can't come into Vixen with expectations of grandeur, of songs that will change your life with their deep meaning and magnificent instrumentation. If you approach this album as an enjoyer of hard rock songs with a basis on love and the end result of this and broken relationships, then you will find enough here to make you happy. It isn't Maiden-sque, it isn't even Motley-esque, and the songs aren't memorable for their brilliant musicianship. What they do have is solid rhythms, catchy guitar riffs and lyrics sung by Janet Gardner that will stick in your head and become those kind of songs that pop up at the strangest times without you even realising it.
The band, no doubt with a lot of pushing by the record company and management, have a lot of help when it comes to writing material for the album. In fact, of the four best and most recognisable songs on the album, only Janet on "I Want You to Rock Me" has a writing credit. The rest are shared amongst others who were obviously specifically brought in to write some hit-makers. There's nothing wrong with that. Bands have been doing that since year one, but it can give the impression that the band has just been put together to be the front for others and look pretty to sell the songs. That certainly isn't the case here. Each member handles their instrument with aplomb. Roxy Petrucci is great on the drums, Share Pedersen also on the bass, while Jan Kuehnemund's leads are terrific. Janet Gardner provides the lead vocals that soar in conjunction with the backups provided by her bandmates.
"Edge of a Broken Heart" is the Richard Marx written and produced single that was designed to get them on the air, and for all intents and purposes it did that. "I Want You to Rock Me" and "Cryin'" come from a similar basket but different writers, and all have that catchy riff that keep your feet tapping. And Janet's vocals just do something to me. I don't even feel embarrassed singing along to them. "Love Made Me" is one of my favourite Vixen tracks, and I still croon along with this whenever I put it on, and even play a little air guitar with it. Yep, probably a little bit ridiculous, but even when I was in my twenties and somewhat concerned about appearances in regards to music, I still did it then too. "Hell Raisers', "Cruisin'" and "Charmed Life" are other songs on this album that I particularly enjoy.

They may not be as immediately brilliant as The Runaways were in their time, nor as bitingly hard as Girlschool, but Vixen put their best feet forward here to produce an album that I at least find more than listenable, and eminently enjoyable. I'm not even going to try and explain why I do, because there is no real reason why I can enjoy this album, and yet decry other metal bands who would deem to put power ballads on their albums. If there is such a thing as a guilty pleasure when it comes to music, then Vixen would probably fit into that category for me, because I still enjoy this album, despite being unable to offer any real reasons to justify it.

Rating:  Love made me blind to the truth, Love made me crawl, I should have stood up to you!  3.5/5



No comments: