Thursday, December 01, 2005

85. Dream Theater / Awake. 1994. 4/5.

There are examples everywhere of bands made up of wonderful musicians, but who can't wrire a song for shite. (Listing them here may be unfair, as a couple of them appear later on...). Dream Theater are not one of the aforementioned bands.

Awake is a brilliant mix of song and instrumental. Caught In A Web was one of the first songs from Dream Theater that caught my attention. It is, to me, a quintessential Dream Theater song.

As an album, it took me some time to appreciate its complexities. It wasn't an easy “sit down, listen twice & love” kind of album for me. However, over time, it grew on me, as did the band themselves. The rest is history, of one type or another.

Rating : How do these guys play this stuff?! 4/5.

No comments: