Thursday, December 01, 2005

94. Brian May / Back To The Light. 1992. 4/5.

Following the untimely death of Freddie Mercury, the appearance of this album was a gold mine. I had heard that Brian May had had a number one single in the UK (Too Much Love Will Kill You), but had never heard it. Then, digging through the shelves at Redback Records one afternoon, I came across this beauty.

This, then, is Brian May on everything, bar most drums. Hearing him sing an entire album, not just the odd song as had been the case in Queen, was a great change. I love the whole album, but it is the first half that really sets the world afire. Back To The Light, Love Token, Resurrection, Too Much Love and Driven By You are the real gun songs on the album, driving it through to the second half, which reverts back to general rock.

When I bought this album, it didn't leave my stereo for weeks. It was immediately catchy, and while not metal, it carries some great tunes.
Brian May spent years cobbling this together. It was time well spent.

Memories : Whe I bought this, I had just got married, and was living in a one room flat in William Street in Kiama. I spent evenings just lying in the dark with this album on repeat. Great stuff.

Rating : A worthy first solo effort. 4/5.

No comments: