Friday, October 28, 2005

21. Dream Theater / A Change Of Seasons. 1995. 5/5

I hadn't been exposed to Dream Theater for very long when I first heard this album, and it was the album that really got me into them.
Although it contains only one original - the epic title track - it has four other songs, mostly medleys, all live versions, filling up the album.

For a start, the title track is awesome. Writing and playing a song that spans 23 minutes without losing you halfway is an effort in itself. It amazes me how you come up with an idea that says "Hey - let's do a 23 minutes song!". Truly marvellous.

Along with this, the live songs are brilliant. Funeral For A Friend & Love Lies Bleeding gave me a new appreciation for Elton John. Perfect Strangers is bloody great, while the other two songs rival these as well. If there is one thing Dream Theater has proven, is that they can make just about anything sound great.

Memories : Hearing Love Lies Bleeding takes me right back to my childhood, hearing Elton John on the radio, or my mother's endless playing of his albums (especially 2 Low 4 Zero).

Rating : I can't fault anything on this. Just awesome musicians. 5/5

No comments: