Monday, October 31, 2005

26. Blind Guardian / A Night At The Opera. 2002. 2/5

This was the first Blind Guardian album I bought, when it was released in 2002. I had never heard any of their stuff, but it looked as though the band were of a genre that was right up my alley.
Having secured it from Utopia, I listened to it probably a dozen times, thought it to be "OK", and promptly slotted it away and forgot about it.

Listening to it today, I'm not overly sure what I saw in it originally. While growing from the same roots of other stuff I love, I found it to be very confusing, with too much competing within the music itself to allow the songs to blend together. What came across was not so much a wall of noise, but more like when you get the radio caught between two stations, and you can hear both at once (I know in this digital age that this doesn't happen too much anymore, but those that can remember it happening will know what I am talking about).

Rating : This was one of those out-of-the-blue purchases, that you hope will pay off, but doesn't. Seems like only others of my friends (ie Kearo) has the golden touch in this regard. 2/5.

No comments: