Monday, January 01, 2007

273. Stratovarius / Elements Part 1. 2003. 3/5.

This album tries hard to lift Stratovarius into the higher echelons of power metaldom, and though it has a lot right with it, unfortunately it doesn't quite make it.

It starts off well, with Eagleheart and Soul Of A Vagabond getting the album off on the right foot. Then, once again, they seem to lose their way a little bit.
No doubt this is their style, and this is the way they like it, and that is fine, but it really isn't to my taste. I certainly don't expect them to pander to what I like, but it gets a little disappointing when you hear albums that, time and time again begin really well, and then they do not take full advantage of that.

Given that, this is still a solid effort. I can't go without explaining that I acquired this album at the same time as Symphony X's Odyssey, and I always find myself comparing the two. That is a little unfair on it, too.

Rating : Another for the middle of the roaders. 3/5.

No comments: