Monday, January 01, 2007

274. Stratovarius / Elements Part 2. 2003. 2/5.

Given that Part 1 was somewhat shrouded in the shadow of Symphony X's Odyssey, I bought this hoping it could redeem what I thought were the weaknesses of the first release. This didn't become the case.

By this stage of their career, it felt to me that Stratovarius were just repeating themselves. It would be nice if I could say that was a good thing, but really, everything they release has the same feel to it, and I get to the stage that I don't know which album I am listening to. Elements Part 2 in particular does this to me. I was listening to a lot of my music on random the other day, and I could pick one of the songs as Stratovarius immediately, but just could not pick the album. As it turned out, it was off this one.

Having your own style is what keeps every band different from all the other bands out there. Not being able to mix it up with your style is a death sentence.

Rating: Unable to inspire me whatsoever. 2/5.

No comments: