Wednesday, June 04, 2008

473. Gamma Ray / Heading for Tomorrow. 1990. 5/5.

Having announced his departure from Helloween after their hugely successful Keeper of the Seven Keys Part II album, one could only wonder what Kai Hansen would do next, and could he reproduce the magic that Helloween had at that time. I admit I was especially keen to find out, as through my initial introduction to Helloween I had come to love his work. Living in Australia, I heard nothing more about him, until one day when I was searching through the racks of Utopia Records in Martin Place in Sydney. Moving methodically through the alphabetical racks I came across the pristine cover of Kai Hansen’s Gamma Ray (as this initial release had on an outer sleeve, no doubt to ensure punters like me found it!), entitled Heading for Tomorrow. Without hesitation It became one of my ten purchases of the day, and my anticipation at what lay within on that day is as much as I can remember for any purchase through my record buying years.

From the very first time I put the needle on the vinyl, this album had grabbed me. The instrumental opening of “Welcome”, the speed and screech of “Lust for Life”, the flow into “Heaven Can Wait”, the majesty of “Space Eater”. These opening tracks blew away any doubts I had that Kai could reproduce the brilliance that he had had in Helloween. In Ralf Scheepers he had a vocalist who could hit the notes at both ends of the spectrum. As a songwriter, there was never any doubt about Kai’s quality, and his new band performs them superbly. The 'happy guitars' that were prevalent in Helloween are just as much so here, enhanced by the keyboards in the background as well. It is just one of the things makes this album a joy, because the mood is up and lively, not down and dark in any way.
The other motivating factor in keeping the mood and feeling of the album so positive, and what I so love about it,  are the themes of the majority of the songs. Every band has certain ways they like to approach song writing and what they want to sing about, and the messages on Heading for Tomorrow are brilliant. “Money” preaches that there is more to life than being rich, and that money doesn't necessarily bring happiness. “Free Time” is simply about wanting to spend time with your family and friends and not feel like you are working your life away – something I can relate to fully. “Lust for Life” begins the album with much the same message – get out and enjoy your life and not get bogged down in drama. These are just simple themes, but put together here in song in a genre of music that doesn’t necessarily have those themes attached to it in many people's minds makes this a positive change.
For me, the only song I have slight doubts about is “The Silence”, which is funny because it is the one song they still have in their live set today. It isn't a bad song, and it does sound much better live than it does here, but it has always been one of those Gamma Ray songs that had bugged me, and there aren't many of them! It does kick in once you reach the solo section, but you have to get there first. None of this stops me singing along to it every time I listen to it though. "Hold Your Ground" has always been underrated in my opinion too, it always sounds great. And what about "Space Eater"! This one sneaks up on you when you first put the album on, but it has great riffs, and Ralf's amazing vocals have to be heard to be believed. Try singing that middle section like he does. It can't be done. Brilliant song.
Following up all of this is the majestic closer (on vinyl anyway, before the CD ‘bonus tracks’ came around), “Heading for Tomorrow”. Clocking in at 14:30 minutes, it encompasses every aspect of this band’s strengths – great vocals, heavy riffage, melodic moodiness, a ready made crowd chant in the middle, and an anthemic conclusion. Just a fabulous song, and surely a risk-taker on your debut opus with a new band. But it works on all levels, and is still just magnificent.

When I first bought this, it was an instant hit, and I had it going around on both turntable and in my car cassette player for months. Looking back on it in a modern day sense, then I guess it may have dated a bit, and that younger people listening to it may not get as much out of it today as I did back then – or still do now. But that is music – it often takes you back to the time you first heard it, and hopefully reminds you of good times. Heading for Tomorrow certainly does that for me. I think if you give it a try, you will still find everything I find brilliant about this album. Not to mention the start of what I believe is probably still the premium band in metal in the world.

Rating:  We are heading for tomorrow, but we don't know if we're near.  5/5

No comments: