Wednesday, June 04, 2008

474. W.A.S.P. / The Headless Children. 1989. 5/5.

Following three great studio albums and a live release, this album marked what, to me, felt like a maturing of the band and their songwriting – and it excited me. I think I was a little obsessed at this stage of my life.

What really grabbed me initially was the start of the album. “The Heretic (The Lost Child)” is such an awesome song. The mood of the song, the melody of the chorus line, the guitars of Chris and Blackie – it all comes together in a way that chills me. It was the first thing I noticed again when I first played this last week to review it, how this song immediately drew me into the album, sent that thrill through me, and had me singing along passionately. A great opening song. This is followed by The Who classic “The Real Me”, where you can certainly feel Blackie’s passion for the song.
Returning to a more typical W.A.S.P. number with “The Headless Children”, you then meet the strange piano opening of “Thunderhead”, which throws you right off once you get into the thick of the song, where Blackie gives us more of that W.A.S.P. play-acting that permeates so many of their songs.

“Mean Man”, the song written about guitarist Chris Holmes, is quite possibly the final song of the original W.A.S.P. era. It has the ingredients that ties it to that pre-Crimson Idol era – with great spitting lyrics and heavy riffing guitars and driving bass and drums. Things changed after this album, but that is for other reviews.
“Forever Free” is another great song in the spirit of “Sleeping In The Fire”, and fits in on the album just perfectly. Then we get back to finishing the album in style with “Maneater” and “Rebel in the F.D.G”, which brings home the album in a loud and raucous conclusion that just encourages you to go back and start it all again.

This album got me through a lot of unhappy times while I was at university, and not enjoying it at all. Putting this album on used to help clear the aggression from my system, and make me feel a lot better about my life. For that alone I could award it full marks. But this truly is an excellently written and packaged album. The band is in top form, and you can sense the change from their earlier releases – for the good.

Rating: As good as their earlier albums are, this matches them step for step. 5/5.

No comments: