Friday, April 11, 2008

396. Foo Fighters / Foo Fighters. 1995. 4.5/5

1995 was an interesting time for albums for me. One of them was this one. With the demise of Nirvana, a band called Foo Fighters was formed by that funny looking dude who used to be the drummer for the aforementioned band. I couldn’t be sure that he would have many musical ideas – I mean, he was just a drummer, right? OK, so the promotion for the album said that he wrote all the songs and played most of the instruments, and even SANG all of the songs. Wow! Better buy it and check it out!

As history now notes, it was a triumph. Dave Grohl WAS more than just the drummer for Nirvana. This debut disc has a bit of something for everyone – faster rocking tracks, slower melodic tracks – and more than anything else begs the question as to what may have happened had Kurt Cobain hung on a little longer? Would Dave’s writing talent been allowed to surface or not?

It did take a while for the album to grow on me. Although it hooked my interest from the outset, it took awhile to actually like all of the songs on the album. I guess because there is some diversity in the tracklist. This soon sorted itself out over the next couple of months as I grew to love the album.
Favourites here for me include “This Is A Call”, “I’ll Stick Around”, “Weenie Beenie” and “Wattershed”

Rating: Great debut from a band we may never have seen. 4.5/5

No comments: