Tuesday, April 08, 2008

393. Joe Satriani / Flying in a Blue Dream. 1989. 4/5

When this was first released, I knew little bits and pieces of Joe Satriani’s work, but was not huge on it. I had Surfing With The Alien but that was all.
A lot of people were disappointed with this when it came out, feeling that Satch had sold out by actually having some songs with lyrics in them. Not only that, the lyrics were sung by himself, and he wasn’t much of a singer. All in all they felt it was rubbish.

I felt, and feel, differently. The variety of songs on this album outdoes what he had done previously. The mood and character of them all makes for an eclectic album, there is no doubt about that, and I certainly can’t sat I like everything on it. But the good is very very good, and the bad is probably only ordinary. His instrumentals are still as good as ever. “Flying in a Blue Dream” and “The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing”, the first two cuts on the album, are just great songs, and yet so completely different in arrangement and style. The songs where Joe lets loose on vocals are about a 50/50 mix. I like “Strange” whereas a lot of people don’t. “I Believe” is a pretty sappy song, without a lot of redeeming features lyrically or musically. “Big Bad Moon” is a classic, I just love it. Being 20 and in a band, we used to jam this out when smashed, it was great fun.

Like I said, I love this album, for the most part. I also saw Satch touring on this album, which was just unbelieveably great. The album was a one off, and I probably still enjoy it so much because it brings back such great memories… but isn’t that what music is all about?

Rating: Probably my favourite Satriani album. 4/5

No comments: