Friday, April 04, 2008

387. Iron Maiden / Flight of Icarus [Single]. 1983. 5/5

The song that first enabled me to find myself into Iron Maiden was "Flight of Icarus". Sure it was a single, but it was while listening to Piece of Mind that this song drew me in, and as a result the rest of the album, and as a result... well, Iron Maiden became the band that was #1 in everything in my life.

I didn't get the single until a few years later, and as with all singles it was the B-side songs that I mainly got it for (as well as adding it to my collection of course). Here there is only one song, a version of Montrose's "I've Got the Fire". The band had already covered this earlier in their career with Paul Di'anno on vocals. here we have Bruce Dickinson showing us his pipes. It is easy to say that this version gives both Maiden's earlier version, and Montrose's original version, a swift kick in the pants. Awesome.

Rating:  Top shelf.  5/5

No comments: