Saturday, April 05, 2008

390. Alice Cooper / Flush the Fashion. 1980. 3.5/5

The great thing about Alice Cooper’s music is that it is always cutting edge, and that it has adapted over the years to keep pace with the changes in the culture of the business, without ever losing its individuality. It’s true to say that it hasn’t always worked (in my humble opinion of course), but he has always been one to change, to shed his skin to adapt to the world around him.
Flush The Fashion is a case in point. Moving with the changing world of music from the 1970’s to the 1980’s Alice has updated the sound of his music to coincide, marking a change from his previous albums. Whether his fan base at the time related to it, I can’t say.

I think it works. It took a while to grow on me. On initials listens I was undecided, but after maybe a dozen times of playing the album, I began to get it. From that point on I could put it on without any qualms. Even from a modern perspective looking back, I think it is a good Alice Cooper album. It has the humour infused into the music, which the best Alice music does. Songs like “Model Citizen”, “Aspirin Damage” and “Nuclear Infested” for me are the better songs on the album. There is even the rockabilly sounds of “Leather Boots” which, while it doesn’t really do much for me, showed Alice was willing to continue to move in new directions.

While this certainly won’t ever rate as one of the classic Alice Cooper albums, I think it has been a little underrated. Alice himself is in fine form, and is obviously enjoying the moment.

Rating: Better than your average bear. 3.5/5

No comments: