Friday, April 21, 2006

135. Y&T / Black Tiger. 1982. 3.5/5.

Ah, the boys from Y&T. This is one of their early and defining albums, and though they seem to still be searching for what they want to be, it is still an interesting effort.

This is a solid outing, with the general mix of what Y&T always offered – rock songs and rock-ballads. Though I am not a fan of the ballad (as I am sure I must have mentioned here somewhere before), at least with Y&T you knew it would not just be a change of their musical character. They were still guitar and drum oriented, and the tempo was still such that you can tap your foot along to them, unlike other bands who write them purely for radio airplay. Winds Of Change here is a prime example. It is a ballad, but still has the same defining Y&T character that all of their songs do.

Open Fire, My Way Or The Highway, Black Tiger and Winds Of Change are my favourites from the album.

Rating : Y&T, like AC/DC, make very similar albums each release – but they do not lose anything in comparison to each other. So you either like 'em or don't. I do. 3.5/5.

No comments: