Friday, April 28, 2006

158. Michael Schenker Group / Built To Destroy. 1983. 3.5/5

Continuing the trend of the early 80's, here is another album full of songs with brilliant guitaring and great vocals, and yet that nagging feeling that at least a couple of the songs were more commercially bent that would normally be the case, in an effort to breakthrough onto radio.
Schenker, to a lesser degree than say Yngwie Malmsteen, I'm sure was looking for a commercial hit, but veered too far away from his safety net to gain it.

Apart from that, this is a great album, again producing some of his best ever songs and showing why he is regarded so highly. I'm not sure why he kept having to change personnel in his band, but I'm guessing it was because he was a volatile character. But everything works here.

There are some great songs. Rock My Nights Away, The Dogs Of War, the brilliant instrumental Captain Nemo, Still Love That Little Devil and Rock Will Never Die.
How, then, was it four years before he appeared on another album, under a different band name?

Memories : In my first year at Uni in 1988, I got through a lot of it with new bands I was discovering by buying albums at the second hand record store. MSG was one of those bands. I lived a lot of that year by the lyrics of Rock My Nights Away - “Cos when I'm sad and lonely, and far from home, I'm just gunna rock my nights away!”
Yeah, I failed pretty much.

Rating : Schenker still knows how to do the good stuff well. 3.5/5.

No comments: