Friday, June 02, 2006

241. Symphony X / The Divine Wings Of Tragedy. 1997. 4/5.

I didn't discover Symphony X until their Odyssey album, and then backtracked to pick up their back catalogue.

This album reminds me a lot of Yngwie Malmsteen's best stuff – great vocals, great guitaring, prominent keyboards and terrific drumming. Though from this popint of their careers they go more in the Dream Theater vein musically, this is very much in the 80's Malmsteen tradition. This is especially so on the first three tracks of the album – Of Sins And Shadows, Sea Of Lies and Out Of The Ashes.

The song The Divine Wings Of Tragedy is certainly a marathon, and doesn't quite hold itself all the way through. Unlike those songs listed above, and Pharoah and The Eyes Of Medusa, it just doesn't maintain the album for me. I think they could have done it better. That of course is just my opinion.

Rating : A great album with a great sound. 4/5.

No comments: