Friday, June 02, 2006

255. W.A.S.P. / Dying For The World. 2002. 4/5.

Blackie Lawless was one pissed off man when he wrote this album, being a native of New York following the events of September 11, 2001.

No doubt a lot of passion went into this album, and though I have always liked it and enjoyed it, I have also always thought that it was missing something – like it wasn't really a W.A.S.P. album, it was a Blackie Lawless album. It was missing the underlying tongue-in-cheek quality that W.A.S.P. possessed at their peak. I certainly can't see the trademark Blackie Lawless head-wobble going as I listen to this album!
Also – Hallowed Ground is almost a carbon copy of The Idol off The Crimson Idol album. Everytime I hear this track, I think of that album. That concerns me a bit.

Apart from all of this, and the fact that I cannot agree with Blackie's extremist thoughts that he explains in the linear notes in the album booklet, this is another better than average release from W.A.S.P. I do believe it has dated a little since its release, and that some of the songs don't work as well as they could have – but then, what would I know?

Rating : Not in the traditional W.A.S.P. style, but it is effective enough to enjoy. 4/5.

No comments: