Friday, June 16, 2006

267. Godsmack / Awake. 2000. 3.5/5

I have only just recently acquired the Godsmack catalogue, but god-damn it is impressive! Awake is just one of those.

This is an instantly enjoyable album. Awake is full of the trademark Godsmack riffage, the kind of growl you want in the guitaring if you are a metal fan. While this drives the album, Sully Erna's vocals are just sensational. These are the two aspects of their music that drew me to investigate them, and they are in fine form here.

OK, so maybe it isn't a perfect album. I find metal of this genre rarely do have the 'perfect' album, if only because the songs can get a little bit similar all through the list. But that does not take anything away from the artist or this album. I think both are great.

Best here in my opinion are Sick Of Life, Awake, Goin' Down and Trippin'

Rating : Lots to like about this album. 3.5/5.

No comments: