Friday, July 04, 2008

497. Split Enz / The Best Of: History Never Repeats. 1989. 4/5

Split Enz was a band that was on the cutting edge in the last 70’s and early 80’s, able to mix their quirky style and sense of fun with thoughtful lyrics and wonderful vocal melodies. This is the greatest hits package, and as such contains pretty much their best tracks.

That of course is open to question, and I guess I thought there would be a few better selections than some of those found on here. Despite that, all their biggest and best-known hits are here – “I See Red”, “I Got You”, “Six Months in a Leaky Boat”, “I Hope I Never”, “Dirty Creature”, “One Step Ahead” and “Message to My Girl” – and they are all still as good today as they were in the day.
Like I said, I would have substituted a couple of different tunes in, but most of the tracks hold their own.

Given the success of Neil Finn (and to some extent Tim Finn) with Crowded House since the demise of Split Enz, it’s always nice to go back and reminisce as to how good this band was in its day.

Rating: A more than adequate greatest hits album. 4/5.

No comments: