Thursday, July 17, 2008

519. Anthrax / I'm The Man [EP]. 1987. 4/5

Here’s another album that certain friends of mine got tremendously excited with when we first came across it not too long after its release. I never really understood why they got so worked up over it, because although the title track – a humorous heavy metal rap performed by the band – is funny enough, its novelty value wears off fairly quickly.

Anyway, here we have three versions of “I’m The Man” – a censored version, and uncensored version, and a live very uncensored version. Believe me, after you listen to this three or four times over, you are quite happy not to have to hear it again for awhile…
The bonus material here is the clincher though. A great cover of Black Sabbath’s “Sabbath Bloody Sabbath”, and live version’s of “Caught in a Mosh” and “I Am The Law” are superb, and well worth the price of the EP alone.

Rating: A little overkill on the single, but otherwise great. 4/5.

No comments: