Monday, July 14, 2008

512. Suicidal Tendencies / How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can't Even Smile Today. 1988. 3.5/5

This was my initial foray into Suicidal Tendencies, through the bullying and bullocking of the guys I was in a band with at the time. Though I was reticent at the time, and have found reasons why since, it is not something I have regretted.

One thing still puzzles me about this album in particular – why is it that the drums, guitars and bass are so furious and so dominating, and yet Mike Muir’s vocals sound, for the most part, so weedy and weak? I mean, these are songs that are supposed to have a bit of aggression about them, or at the very least some passion, and on many of these songs it sounds like he is just going through the motions. Is it just me that thinks this? Quite possibly, but to me the album would have sounded a lot better if he had just used his lungs a bit more.

Having said that, ignore that part and enjoy the best parts of the album. “Trip at the Brain” starts off with a cracking pace and highlights the best that the band has to offer. “Pledge Your Allegiance” and “How Will I Laugh Tomorrow” continue in this direction. The (almost) instrumental “Surf and Slam” is probably my favourite on the album (because there are no vocals? Hmmm… perhaps…).

So, as good as this album does sound, I really believe it could have been a lot better, with a little tweaking. Suicidal Tendencies have never been one of my favourite bands, so my judgement may be a little biased compared to those that hold this band dear to their hearts.

Rating: A decent enough effort. 3.5/5

No comments: