Wednesday, July 16, 2008

515. Scorpions / Humanity: Hour 1. 2007. 5/5

It's a Saturday afternoon. I'm at home at the computer, and it's time to put on a new album. I take the disc, put it on and press play. What comes out in the first 30 seconds blows me away. Have I made a mistake? Is this really the new Scorpions album? OK, there's Klaus Meine's vocals - it must be Scorpions!

But what the hell?!? So here's the deal - I expected much the same that the band has released in recent years, okay stuff without being exceptional. Well bugger me, instead they've come out and rocked the house down!

This is what I wrote when I first heard this album when it was released last year, and to be quite honest my opinion has only strengthened in the time that has passed since. The arrival of this album, and the astonishing return to form of this band is quite magnificent. Following a number of disappointing efforts where there were obvious attempts to change their musical formula, Humanity: Hour 1 effectively returns the band to their solid roots of melodic heavy metal, and the result is stunning.
There is a definite heavier feel to the songs than has been present for some time, as is shown during “Hour 1” and “The Game of Life”, “You’re Lovin’ Me To Death” and the excellent “321”. Each show the best of the faster side of Scorpions.
Backing these up are the amazing Scorpions ballads, as only they can do, “The Future Never Dies” and “Your Last Song”. Just terrific examples of how to do a power ballad with power, and not weakness. Then to finish it all off are the brilliant “The Cross” which features Billy Corgan from the Smashing Pumpkins, and “Humanity” which tops the album off on a great note.

Concept albums are tricky things to get right. Not only does the story have to be relevant, and the songs able to recreate the mood of the piece, they need to retain their individuality as well. No qualms here about all that, this is superbly done. The guitaring of Rudolph Schenker and the brilliant Matthias Jabs is magnificent, as is the drumming of James Kottak. Magnificent stuff.

What impresses me most about this album is that I feel more strongly about it now than I did in the first months after its release. To me, that indicates its strengths and appeal. At the time I rated it very highly, about 4 or 4.5. I truly believe it now belongs in the top echelon of Scorpions albums.

Rating: One of the best albums of this decade. 5/5.

No comments: