Saturday, July 12, 2008

505. Sevendust / Home. 1999. 2.5/5

Having only gotten the Sevendust albums because two friends, one old and withered like myself, and another young and boyish, told me I had to listen to this band. And so I did for a very small space of time, before the albums lost themselves in the wilds of the back of the CD cupboard. Home was dragged from the depths this week for its review and rating, and I can say that after one listen, I had major reservations about it. By the second listen, I found I had probably misjudged it, and the third convinced me that there was certainly something to this.

While it will never become a favourite – the style of music here is not quite to my appeal – I can appreciate it for what it is, and I did enjoy most parts of the album. Nu-metal doesn’t quite make it for me, and while some of the songs here work really well, there are others that seemed trapped in their own attempted cleverness.

Rating: While not targeting people of my taste, there is unrealised potential here. 2.5/5.

No comments: