Wednesday, May 07, 2008

424. Queen / The Game. 1980. 4/5

While it is impossible for me to agree that this is the last great Queen album, as has been bandied about in some areas, there is little doubt that this is one of their best. With some of their best singles mixed with the solidity of the rest of the album, The Game is a classic.

In some ways, this reminds me of A Night At The Opera, with a great mix of styles on the album, and the variety of lead vocals from Freddie, Brian and Roger.
While it is the high profile songs that boost this album, the peripheral songs are also important in retaining interest. "Dragon Attack" is a favourite, as well as "Rock It (Prime Jive)" with Roger Taylor's vocals proving to be a highlight for me on the album.
An album that contains such classic songs as "Another One Bites The Dust" and "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" and "Save Me" already has the material to make it great. Perhaps not every song is in that catagory, but in my opinion none of the songs are 'filler'. Like the majority of Queen albums, you can put The Game on and enjoy it all the way through, and then out it back on again. I know I have - 32 times in the past four days as I listened and reviewed, and I never got sick of it. Surely an album's greatest pre-requisite.

This really is an album that anyone can enjoy. All four members have again contributed so much in both writing and performing, and their individual performances are again just startling.

Rating: A triumph in almost every way. 4/5.

No comments: