Monday, May 12, 2008

432. Testament / The Formation of Damnation. 2008. 4/5

After nine years without new material, and the return of some major players into the ranks, Testament have come screaming back to the forefront with their new album, The Formation of Damnation.

Probably what is better is that I missed all the hype of the return of the old boys, which seems to have coloured some people’s opinion of the album. I just got it and put it on, and was immediately taken by the opening riffage. In much the same way as last year’s releases of Humanity: Hour 1 by Scorpions and Paradise Lost by Symphony X grabbed me from the opening bars, so did The Formation of Damnation with “For The Glory Of…” and “More Than Meets The Eye”. Straight away the head started gong and the feet started tapping, and I was taken.
I really think this is a killer album. Generally I am a bit cautious about my initial instincts when listening to albums. I believe it usually takes some time for the true reality to sink in. However, after giving this a fairly solid workout for the past week, I think it has the right stuff.

The return of Alex Skolnick on guitar is a bonus. Back with his old sparring partner Eric Petersen, and alongside Greg Christian on bass again, they have put together some great riffs. Nick Barker’s drumwork is also superb, a real revelation. Chuck Billy’s vocals are just awesome – take “F.E.A.R” as just one example. Especially toward the end of the song, when he really puts the grunt into it, he sounds absolutely brilliant. He is in peak form after recovering from his cancer, and it is great to hear him sounding so good. His range is as good as ever.

Favourites for me include “More Than Meets The Eye”, “The Evil Has Landed”, “The Formation of Damnation”, “Dangers of the Faithless” and “F.E.A.R”.

Rating: A magnificent return from one of the best thrash bands around. 4/5.

No comments: