Thursday, May 08, 2008

428. Metallica / Garage Days Re-revisited [EP]. 1987. 5/5

Way back, when this was released, I was in my final year of high school, and though there were many of my friends who were also into heavy metal, this EP became the single greatest converter of music listeners to heavy metal music in our year.
The five track EP of cover songs is a classic, not only giving Metallica fans an idea of where the band’s roots lay, it also provided some excellent updating of some very good songs. It also gave the world its first hearing of Jason Newsted on bass, the replacement for the tragically lost Cliff Burton. At the time we were suitably impressed.

Perhaps it was just a ‘right place at the right time’ thing for me. Sometimes EPs of this type can be either hit or miss. This was certainly a hit.

Rating: A great moment in my personal metal history. 5/5

No comments: