Friday, May 30, 2008

460. King's X / Gretchen Goes To Nebraska. 1989. 2/5.

I don’t even remember how I first got this album, or exactly when I got it. I’m sure it wasn’t too long after it had been released, and it would probably have been passed onto me by my mate Kearo, who no doubt got it from our mutual friend Dale. The music is certainly his style. What I do remember is the fact that at the time I was taken by it, and thought it was great – unusual, and different from most of the stuff I was listening to at the time, but still good.

Flash forward almost two decades, and I have dug this out of the mire to review it. To be honest I wasn’t even sure if I still had a copy of the album, apart from the crumbling cassette version another friend Scott had taped for me over a decade ago. In my search a CD-R copy emerges, and goes into the stereo.

Now comes the difficult part – attempting to rediscover what it was that so enthralled me about this album all those years ago. And I don’t think I did find it, but that’s not too unusual, because my taste in this genre has definitely shifted over the years. While I can still appreciate the music here, it no longer caters to what I am looking for in music.
Given the great length of time between the present and the last time I really listened to this album, I was surprised to find how much I had forgotten of it. There is no doubting the quality of Doug Pinnick’s voice, nor of the music contained on the album. When the album was released it was really ahead of its time, in an era when music was changing rapidly. Listening back to it today, it feels to me as though it is now stuck in that time period. What I no doubt thought of at the time as being unusual in a great way, I now hear as being different in an average way.

Rating: My music mood has outgrown what this offers. 2/5.

No comments: