Thursday, May 29, 2008

458. Billy Joel / Greatest Hits Volume I & II. 1985. 4.5/5

A very nicely put together collection from back in the mid-1980’s, encompassing Billy Joel’s career to that point in time. I originally got this on double vinyl for Christmas when it was released. A decade later I updated and bought it on double CD, which included bonus tracks that I hadn’t had before, which made it even better.

While it was “Uptown Girl” that initially got me into Billy Joel, it came to pass that it was his older stuff that I probably enjoy more, and it was this collection that brought together all of his best stuff for me to listen to. “Captain Jack” and “The Entertainer” for me are just great. The diversity of his music, let alone the instruments he employs for his songs, and their style, is one of his features. Okay, there are the odd songs that I can quite happily skip past – “Always A Woman To Me” is the best example – and some songs seem strangely absent - "An Innocent Man" for instance, but the package is terrific.

For those that would like to see what all the fuss is about with Billy Joel, this is a good starting point. It’s pretty much where I started…

Rating: A great collection from a terrific artist. 4.5/5.

No comments: