Thursday, May 22, 2008

442. Stiff Little Fingers / Go For It. 1981. 2.5/5

What is it about punk and reggae that they almost seem to go hand in hand? It truly is something I’ve never really been able to work out.

You can hardly call this album a punk album, and maybe the band and their fans don’t want to be pigeon-holed that way anyway. I can admit to being openly surprised at the style of music contained on this album when I first got it. Surprised, and not just a little disappointed. However, I can almost pass that off as part of my close minded youth. I got the album on the strength of the title track, the instrumental “Go For It”, to which I had been introduced at a Year 10 camp almost 25 years ago. From there the natural progression was to buy the album.
Now, I am no fan of reggae, and that includes when punk or alternative bands infuse it into their own music. So the fact that songs like “The Only One” have it here, frankly, just bores me to death.
Then there is “Gate 49”, which is almost like an updated 1050’s do-wop song, and “Silver Lining” which has horns and piano through it. All of this was so unexpected. No doubt many fans love it. I found it a bit disconcerting.

When I think of all of the great songs that this band released, and I hear what they have done on this album, it seems a tad disappointing.

Rating: Not what I consider to be one of their strongest releases. 2.5/5

No comments: