Monday, May 12, 2008

434. Gene Simmons / Gene Simmons. 1978. 1/5

I’ll let you into a little secret here. Having listened to this album two or three times late last week, I had to go back, grab some Kiss albums, and listen to them to convince myself that they were not as lame as this piece of rubbish is. I can tell you I was scared that my entire existence was going to implode, and that I would discover that the Kiss that I loved were actually crap.

No – I didn’t discover that.

This, however, really is a stinker. No power in the music, no power in the vocals. No inspiration, no glory. If this is the best that Gene Simmons can come up with on his own, then he should be thanking his lucky stars that he fell into the band situation that he did. OK, perhaps he was trying to do something in a different direction from what he had been for the previous decade. I have serious reservations about that at the best of times, because you will just alienate your own fan base. From the opening bar to the very last chord of the corny and dreadful version of “When You Wish Upon A Star”, this is the kind of album you listen to, and then file in a deep dark corner. Which is exactly where it is now being returned to.

Rating: Please, no. never again. 1/5.

No comments: