Tuesday, May 13, 2008

436. Yngwie J. Malmsteen / The Genesis. 2002. 1.5/5

I don’t know if it is just because of the sheer volume of albums that he seemed to release during the 1990’s that I had never heard until five or so years ago, or because his stuff just seemed to run to a similar pattern, but there is a growing tediousness about some of Yngwie’s work. Sure, there is little doubt that he is still a great guitar player, but there must be a question over his actual song writing ability.

Here is another collection of fairly average type of songs. There is a greater collection of instrumentals here, which should be considered a good thing, but they are basically ordinary. The songs that do have vocals have very very poor vocals, which drag the songs down even further. I was astonished when I first listened to this album. Some places had praised it glowingly, and yet I can’t see through the gloom.

Rating: This release has very little to offer to any fan. 1.5/5

No comments: