Saturday, May 24, 2008

447. Exodus / Good Friendly Violent Fun. 1991. 2.5/5

Live album from the lads, their first, after some positive studio releases. For me it detracts from that product, however, as I don’t think it is one of his best performances.
In my opinion, the great material doesn’t quite come off on this occasion. The guys are obviously enjoying themselves and putting on a performance, but to me it doesn’t capture the true essence of the band or their songs. The vocals are somewhat messy, and all over the place – and yes I know it is thrash, but the vocals are just as important in a live atmosphere, and they don’t mesh here.
One of my main beefs is that I believe they completely trash one of the classics, AC/DC’s “Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap”. If you are going to cover a song live you need to do it justice, not tear it apart.

I was really disappointed with this. If you are going to do a live album, then get it right, because otherwise you are just wasting everyone’s time.

Rating: A mish-mash. 2.5/5.

No comments: