Thursday, May 22, 2008

444. Slayer / God Hates Us All. 2001. 2.5/5

Once again some people were waiting for the next Reign In Blood and once again these same people were still waiting. What the public got instead was another angry album from a band that does it so well.

However, for me there is so much here that doesn’t quite work. The best Slayer albums – and we all know which ones they are – always seem to flow so well from song to song. Not necessarily seamlessly, but always such that they are easy to listen to. Here on God Hates Us All, many of the songs seem clunky, almost thrown together like a kid doing a bad jigsaw puzzle. The time changes don’t seem to work like they do on other albums, and Tom’s screaming being layered over itself creates a wall of noise that isn’t as palatable as is usually the case.
The great guitar riffs and licks are there, but they appear randomly, and for only a moment or so. Some of the songs just seem to bring on a headache more than an enjoyment, which is what I’m looking for. Friends of mine completely disagree with me, and say I must be mad, how can I not love this album? Well – apart from the reasons I’ve listed, I don’t know. All I know is that for me, this isn’t the best that Slayer can, or have, released.

Maybe, like so many others, I am just waiting for the next Reign In Blood as well…

Rating: I guess I just wanted more from it that it could offer. 2.5/5.

No comments: