Monday, March 10, 2008

357. Alcatrazz / Disturbing The Peace. 1985. 3/5

Funny how with the previous album I reviewed (Gary Moore's Dirty Fingers) I gave it almost full marks even though it is obviously anchored in the 80's, because I grew up with it. Here we have another album that is quite definitely 'trapped in the 80s', and has dated somewhat as a result, but I probably don't rate it as high simply because I didn't get it until much later in life.

Perhaps I digress, but I am trying to explain why it doesn't rate as high with me. Disturbing The Peace has its moments. Graham Bonnet on vocals is a good as ever, though perhaps not with as much passion as he had in previous bands like Rainbow and MSG. Steve Vai is great and easily recognisable, his licks and riffs popping up through out the album. It's certainly noticeable even from this early time in his career that he was going to be something special. The songs have their moments, some are even better than average.

Overall though, I guess I can't get past the fact that there is no real heaviness in the music, and though the album has potential, I think they failed to get as much out of the material as they could.

Best for me include "Wire and Wood", "Desert Diamond" and "Stripper".

Rating: Worth it if for nothing else than Steve Vai's guitaring. 3/5.

No comments: