Tuesday, March 11, 2008

359. Arch Enemy / Doomsday Machine. 2005. 3.5/5

Doomsday Machine mixes touches of brilliance with pieces of monotonous boredom, and one can only wonder how. It is difficult to fathom just how an album that has so much in its favour, and so much potential, can fail to ignite and find the higher reaches. Perhaps it is Angela’s vocals – ahh, my old prejudices rise again… J

Certainly, listening to the album four or five times in a row at work today, I felt no need to suppress any particular songs, or not to put it back on again when it was over. I think it holds its own quite easily. But I can’t shake that nagging feeling that they left something in the kit bag when they had an opportunity to do better.
The guitaring is as great as it always is, and there is still much to like about the release.

Favourites for me include “Enter the Machine”, “Nemesis” and “I Am Legend / Out for Blood”.

Rating: Middle of the road for the guys and gal. 3.5/5

No comments: