Wednesday, March 12, 2008

362. Sting / The Dream Of The Blue Turtles. 1985. 3.5/5

When this came out, I was excited. What would Sting produce now that he had left The Police? Would it be as brilliant as, say, Synchronicity had been? Could he reproduce anything like that?
And so I put my vinyl on the record played, lowered the needle, and away we went.

The verdict? At the time it was enjoyable, but mildly disappointing. I was looking for "Synchronicity II" and other similar songs. What I got was softer, less edgy, more radio friendly kind of stuff. Nothing wrong with that, really, unless you were searching for The Police, cos this ain't them.

23 years later and things haven't changed much, except Sting has gone back to The Police for a reunion tour, meaning he must be down to his last few million dollars. Some of the songs still work here, and others still don't. If it was not for the brilliant closer, "Fortress Around Your Heart", I think this album would have been written off as very average. That last song on the album always brings me back.

Rating: It was never promised to be The Police, but I still can't help remembering that I wish it was... 3.5/5

No comments: