Thursday, November 03, 2005

34. Bruce Dickinson / Accident Of Birth. 1997. 5/5

I made a fatal error when I first heard pieces of Bruce's 2nd (Balls To Picasso) and 3rd (Skunkworks) solo albums. I decided that he was finished, and decided against wasting any more of my money on his work.
In 1999, I was lent a copy of The Chemical Wedding, and I soon realised what a dolt I had been.

Accident Of Birth, to me, is the beginning of Dickinson's resurgence to the top of metal. With partner Roy Z, and the acquisition of fellow Maiden drop-out Adrian Smith, this album is the type that Maiden probably should have been extending itself to by this stage of their career.
Bruce himself accolades Roy Z for much of the credit for their collaborations together. Whoever or whatever it is, this album was a giant leap forward from anything Dickinson had done out on his own before.

Freak. Darkside Of Aquarius. Road To Hell. Accident Of Birth. Just a selection of the songs that make it a brilliant listen. If only I had not waited four years to actually buy and listen to it!!!!

Rating : This is a great 'comeback' if you like, and better was yet to come. 5/5.

No comments: